How to upload your intervention onto the LifeGuide server so that users can see and use it
How do I upload an intervention to the LifeGuide Community website?
The LifeGuide Community website can be used to share your intervention with members of your research team or wider members of the LifeGuide community. We have three different intervention types:
- Development – recommended for interventions that are still in development: allows you to select who can access your intervention for viewing and commenting (e.g. your research team). You will need to create your own intervention folder for this.
- Tutorial – for uploading short demos that illustrate a particular logic function. All users registered on the LifeGuide community can access these if they wish to learn how to complete a logic function. Please upload tutorial interventions to the 'Tutorials' folder
- Demo – for uploading full interventions for all users of the LifeGuide Community to view and comment on. Please upload demo interventions to the 'demos' folder.
Please note that completed interventions intended to be used by end-users (apart from for testing purposes) should be hosted on a separate server (see how do I make my intervention live).
Before you can upload an intervention onto the LifeGuide Community website you will need to contact the LifeGuide team so they can arrange for you to have these permissions. Please complete the form [on this page] and email it back to us at email@example.com
We need to be careful about how much memory the interventions we host on our server will use so any information you can provide about: estimated number of pages; number of videos used in your intervention and their duration; expected number of users will be useful in helping us to monitor our available memory capacity.
- Before uploading your intervention to the LifeGuide community site you first need to export it from the Authoring tool:
- Click the Export button on the top toolbar, or select the Export option from the File menu.
- A pop up window will show that allows you to choose where you want to save the file.
- Click the Browse button to select where you want to save your file.
- Give it a name and click the Save button.
- Once you have exported your intervention, choose the New Intervention Folder link at the top of the main page of the LifeGuide Community site. If you cannot see this link, you do not have permission to upload interventions. Please see the text above for details on how to apply for permission.
- Now click on Add Intervention at the top of the page.
- This will take you to a new page asking for details of your intervention including:
- A short name for the intervention – this will be used on the URL for the intervention
- A long name – this is the name that will be displayed on the LifeGuide Community website
- Description (optional) – this will be displayed on the LifeGuide Community website and enables you to give a brief description of what the intervention includes
- A start and end date (optional) – to detail how long you want the intervention to run
- Location of your intervention – for uploading the file that you have exported
- Intervention type – with the options to set interventions as development, demo or tutorial.
- Click the Create button at the bottom of the page.
The LifeGuide Community website has been designed to facilitate collaborative development and design of online interventions.
You will first need to create an intervention folder and upload an intervention to your folder in order to share the intervention with selected users.
To share your intervention with members of your research team:
- Choose 'edit' on you intervention folder
- Under researchers, type in the email address of the person you would like to share your intervention folder with and click on 'send invitation'. They will then be sent an email with a link and a code to enter to enable them to be added to their folder (if they are not yet registered on the LifeGuide Community website, they will be prompted to do this first).
- These researchers will be added to your list of current researchers and will be able to play and/or comment on any new interventions that you add to that folder.
The names of any other registered LifeGuide users who you have shared your intervention folders with in the past are kept in the list to the left. These can be added to the current list of researchers by selecting their name and then clicking the 'add researcher' button.
- You may wish to notify your team that the intervention is ready to view. You can do this through the LifeGuide Community site by selecting the Email the Intervention Researchers link under the Intervention Operations list on the Intervention Details page.
Researchers can be removed by:
- going into the Edit page,
- selecting the researcher in the current researchers box
- selecting the remove researcher button