Downloading the LifeGuide Authoring Tool
How do I download the Authoring tool?
First, make sure your computer is appropriately set up to enable LifeGuide to run. Check that you have the following four specification requirements:
- Java Version 6 or Version 7 (32-bit) needs to be installed. To check which version of Java you have, go to: the Java website If you don’t have the recommended version of Java, you can download it by clicking on the Download Java Now button on the page.
- You will need to use one of the following operating systems to run the authoring tool: Windows XP, Vista, 2000, 2003 or 2008, Windows 7, Windows 8.
- At least one of the following internet browsers needs to be installed: Internet Explorer 7, Firefox 2, Safari 3, Google chrome 1.0, or a higher version of any of these browsers.
- Access rights – Some institutions will require users to obtain access rights before they can download or install new software. These can usually be obtained from the institution’s Information Services (IS), or equivalent information technology department.
To download the authoring tool:
- Select the LifeGuide Software option in the left-hand menu on the LifeGuide Community website
- Choose the Authoring Tools link.
- Select the version you’d like to download and click save
- The General release version of the authoring tool is the most up-to-date version of the tool. This version is updated at the beginning of every month to include important bug fixes or new features. Users are advised to regularly update their version of the authoring tool to make the most of new features and to ensure that interventions run smoothly with any updates made on the LifeGuide server.
- The beta version of the authoring tool should only be used if you have been specifically advised by a member of the LifeGuide team to do so.
- Save and unzip the file to the C drive of your computer
Detailed instructions for Firefox users
If you are using Firefox, it will automatically save the authoring tool in the downloads folder of your computer
- Double click the file in the downloads page to open it
- Select Extract all files
- Click Next
- Browse to find the C drive folder for your computer (in the My Computer folder for your computer). If you cannot see the C drive you may not have access rights
- Click Next and then finish
Detailed instructions for Internet Explorer users
- If you are using Internet Explorer, you will have the choice of where you want to save the authoring tool. Choose the C drive of your computer (under My Computer) and click Save
- When it says ‘Download Complete’ select Open
- Choose Extract all files and select the Next option until it has finished extracting and then select Finish
- You can now open the authoring tool by selecting the LifeGuideAuthor.exe file in your newly created folder.